- See a dentist to make sure you are a candidate for dental veneers. A thorough examination of your teeth, clinically and radiographically must be conducted to make sure you are a candidate. You must make sure you are informed about your dental health and the advantages and risks of dental veneers. Often patients may think porcelain veneers are the solution to their dental cosmetic problem, but there are safer and less expensive solutions. For example, some patients may elect Kor Whitening and Teeth Straightening with Invisalign to produce excellent cosmetic results vs. Veneers. No two patients are alike and the solution to your dental problem requires thought and information gathering. You can always stop by our dental office in 10011 and ask Dr. Bracy about dental veneers.
- Diagnostic Wax –Up. If you proceed with veneers, ask your dentist to have a diagnostic wax-up of your teeth. This step involves taking a dental impression or mold of your teeth. In our West Village dental office, we utilize a digital scan of your smile instead of traditional impression material. From this mold or scan, the dental laboratory can fabricate a model to show what your veneers will look like. This process yields a ton of information for both the dentist and the patient. You get to see what your final veneers will look like in a model, so there are no surprises after you get them done in your mouth. From the wax-up, Dr. Bracy can analyze from a clinical and scientific standpoint how the veneers will fit and function in your mouth, and additional steps needed to prepare your teeth for the final fit.
- Preparation day! If the above dental treatment planning steps have been done with care, this day is a fun and easy day! Dr. Bracy will numb your mouth and teeth, just as if you were getting a cavity filled or a crown done. He will then prepare your teeth using a dental hand piece and specialized diamond drills that remove a very small amount of the outer layer of tooth structure. In most veneer preparations, there is about 1-1.5mm of enamel removed and shaped for the final veneers. After preparation, a putty impression or scan of your teeth is then done. The lab fabricates the final veneers from this impression. While the lab is fabricating the veneers, you will wear temporary veneers. Dr. Bracy will fabricate these on the preparation day too.
- Insertion Day – High end, quality dental laboratories usually have a speedy turnaround time for porcelain veneers. Dr. Bracy will only use well-regarded dental laboratories for your case. In most cases, Dr. Bracy will send you to the dental laboratory so you can meet the technicians and ceramists doing the fabrication. These technicians need to see your teeth and meet you to help get the most precise final shade. We will send you to the laboratory in an Uber after your preparation appointment. After the lab has fabricated the veneers, you will return to the dental office to have them tried in and cemented. Dr. Bracy will try them in for fit and make sure all your concerns are addressed. The veneers are cemented and you can enjoy your beautiful, new smile!
- Return for follow-ups and regular dental check-ups. Don’t disappear after you have your new smile done by Dr. Bracy in his West Village dental office. Plan to return in a week or so to make sure everything is going well with your new teeth. Dr. Bracy will check on your bite and all the restorations to make sure they are as perfect as they can be and to ensure your satisfaction. As with any dental work, you must continue to have regular dental check-ups, cleanings and x-rays. It is always better to catch dental problems when small and can be repaired easily. Dental veneers are not perfect and require maintenance. Sometimes they may crack or fracture, or come off. Other patients can develop cavities or gum disease around them, if they aren’t properly cared for. Keep up your dental hygiene and dental visits to ensure the longevity of your new porcelain veneers.
Keith Bracy, DDS is the best dentist in 10011, near me. Call us at 212-390-8399 to make your porcelain veneer consultation appointment!